1. Michael Perry and the Long Beds (7:30 p.m. Friday at Pablo Center at the Confluence’s Jamf Theatre, 128 Graham Ave. $15. pablocenter.org): You probably know Perry as the beloved local author of books such as “Population 485,” “Truck” and “Visiting Tom,” but this NYT bestseller’s writing skills also come out as a musician.
Perry’s been writing songs since the early 1990s, and he and the Long Beds put on a country folk, Americana show not to be missed.
2. WhiskeyBelles (7:30 p.m. Saturday at Heyde Center for the Arts, 3 S. High St., Chippewa Falls. $15 adults, $14 seniors, $6 youth. cvca.net): Speaking of Americana artists, check out this trio of women from the Milwaukee area that describe themselves as “roots country music, born of Gin Halls and Juke Joints.”
The women perform a mix of originals and original takes on classic country favorites.
3. “Jaywalking” screening (8 and 10 p.m. Friday or 8 p.m. Saturday at Micon Downtown Cinemas, 315 S. Barstow St. $10.): This film was produced and directed by one of our very own; Peter Eaton even moved back home from Los Angeles to produce this film, and he’s proud to unveil his first feature-length production in the town that made him.
You’ll recognize some local actors (author Nickolas Butler plays a gas station attendant) and some familiar places in this production, and feel a little bit better about the idea of growing up by the end of it (or, at the very least, know you’re not the only one who doesn’t have it figured out).
4. The Fabulous Chinese Acrobats (2 p.m. Sunday at Heyde Center for the Arts, 3 S. High St., Chippewa Falls. $12 adults, $11 seniors, $6 youth. cvca.net): It’s not every day you can see talented athletes tumble and flip in the Chippewa Valley, so be sure to catch this act, which comes straight from the Cirque du Soleil circuit in Las Vegas.
If you can’t get to the Sunday show, they’ll be performing again at the same time Monday.
5. Devour the Day (7 p.m. Saturday at The Complexx at Wagner’s Lanes, 2159 Brackett Ave. $12 general admission, $25 or $40 VIP. 21 and older. wagnerslanes.com): This American rock band is currently touring with its third full-length album, “Signals,” and Wagner’s Lanes’ Complexx seems like the perfect place for them to show off their talent.